Saturday, June 26, 2010

Can I Has Lion Burger?

A few days ago I was watching the news and saw people serving unusual burgers. It was not just any meat. It was lion meat. As in Lion-Simba-King-of-the-jungle meat. Whoa. Now that is exotic.  

I have  had my fair share of "exotic" food, but I'm nothing compared to Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods. I've tried eating frog, snake, and without knowing it, I also tried eating dog meat when I was younger. I almost tried to eat bat meat too. Although I am a little curious on what lion meat actually tastes like (they even showed people eating and commenting on how the burgers were "yummy"), still, these majestic creatures are not farm bred like pigs and cows. They're wild, and numbered! I don't think McDonalds will start serving lion burgers anytime soon (who knows?) but this kind of hype is encouraging people to hunt vulnerable animals. Pretty soon, they become endangered. Or worse, extinct. It just makes me wish that we didn't have to eat or destroy anything to survive. We have all this wisdom and capacity for a reason. Why not use it to help protect? 


No comments: