Sunday, June 27, 2010

F Is For Fiber, Figs, and First!

I'm on my way to a healthier lifestyle. At least I think I am. Well, I've decided to become healthier, and deciding on something is the first step to success. Right? Right! 
Eating healthier is one of my goals, but I lack talent in cooking. I admit, I am not a good cook. I can be considered dangerous when left alone in the kitchen. 
So I am having a bit of a struggle right now, but I am learning. The good news is, the kitchen is still safe, no house fire yet :)  
I was craving for figs the other day. Fig Fi Fo Fum! ^_^ My sister is on her way to becoming a chef and  she was nice enough to teach me how to bake fig bars! This is my first time so please no making fun hehe :) I saw the recipe for vegan fig bars on the internet, I forgot the site where I got it from though...


And so we used the food processor and mixed all the ingredients into a bowl. And also, the ingredients are kind of approximated because we used a larger pan. I've learned to make adjustments as we went along:
about 20 figs (boiled for 10 minutes)
2 cups wheat flour
2 cups oats
1/2 cup of almonds
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
maple syrup
1/2 cup almond milk













Next we put some more canola oil on the pan and started laying the ingredients, making it look like a fig newton bar with the figs in the middle. My sister put some maple syrup on top to add some extra sweetness. We also added some of the fig juice from when we boiled it earlier to add some moisture and figgy-ness. A cool fact about figs is that not only are they tasty, but they are also full of fibery goodness! Our colon will thank us for eating this healthy treat. Bake for about 22 minutes and viola! Fig bars ready to be munched.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

icbts said...

This looks delicious, I'll have to try making it some time soon :)

Marie said...

Thanks :) It is, plus it's fibery good :D