Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Canker Sours


Does anyone remember The Kanker Sisters from Ed, Edd and Eddy? They were annoying like heck, but their love hate relationship with Ed, Edd and Eddy can be pretty funny. As annoying as these girls are, the real life canker sores also get me worked up when I have them running amuck in my mouth. 

Ever since I was young I've always had a canker sore here and there. I've looked up the causes of mouth sores, and there are actually  a lot of them. Probably for me is having a lot of stress, having not so straight teeth (will be getting braces soon) which makes me bite my lips, inner cheeks or tongue a lot of times,  and probably hormonal changes. There are a many more causes that don't really pertain to me such as chewing tobacco, eating spicy food, having braces, etc. And also, toothpastes containing SLS have been researched to cause canker sores too!

They say gargling with warm water and salt helps. It does to a degree, but it doesn't really heal it faster. I've even tried slathering salt on it, which was insane, because it hurts like heck and it didn't really do much. Orajel just helps keep the pain to a minimum but does not  heal it. There are more products out there that claim to help heal mouth sores fast, but I have yet to try one that actually works.

Recently, I had a huge canker sore, it was so big that it hurt whenever I started opening my mouth to talk or eat. It was that bad. A coworker of mine helped me and gave me some advicce. She saved my mouth! She told me she had the same problem when she was younger. She advised me to take L-lysine. It was  an over the counter supplement so I did not need a prescription. It cost me less than 10 dollars. I tried it and on the second day, my sore was not completely gone but I was able to talk clearer, and had no pain when I ate. On  the fifth day, it was so tiny I don't even really remember it being there.

What is L Lysine? L Lysine is an amino acid that helps with our bodies' connective tissues, It helps build protein and helos in the production of hormones, enzymes, and antibodies. Lysine can also be found in soy, quinoa, eggs, cheese, milk, apples, apricots, papayas, carrots, celery, cucumber, etc. You can find out more about L Lysine through the links below.   

sources:
picture
wikianswers.com
causes
importance of lysine

No comments: