Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Zit Happens

I was watching a commercial on TV where they were showing products that have a brand new totally awesome "quick fix" for acne. Either they have found a miracle cure, or they are totally absurd. (They are full of crap if you ask me.) I hate how corporations try to make money out of low self esteem. But sadly, people will do and buy anything just to have a cure for acne. 

I used to have really bad acne, it was so horrible, I did not want to look at myself in the mirror. I hated socializing with people. My self esteem was as small as a grain of sand. It was horrible. I just had to see a dermatologist and find a cure. The treatment was a crazy cycle. I get zits, I go to a dermatologist, she prescribes antibiotics and creams. I ingest the pills and slather the creams onto my face. My zits kind of go away, but it comes back after I stop taking the pills and the creams. 

I pretty much tried everything I could get my hands on. Topicals, gels, antibiotics, lasers, and even pills. I even took Accutane, which I regret till this day.  None of them really did any good.

Last December 2009, I was prescribed with Septra, a pretty strong antibiotic. I felt really bad after taking them. I was having fever, chills, nausea, and headaches. I had to stop the medication. I realized, I gave these medications to my patients who had strong infections, and yet I am taking it, and I don't really need it! I was sick of it all and just stopped everything. The cycle had to stop. It wasn't doing me any good anyway, why did I think that things will come out different?

And so I had to look for an alternative and found a naturopath that helped me understand my body a little better. She is in San Diego and since I moved back to Texas, I have not been able to talk to her, but she set me on the right path to health. I will be trying to look for another naturopath as nice and understanding as her over here.

My face is not perfect right now, it is still a work in progress. I am slowly finding my way to be clear and get on with my life and not have to worry about other people looking at me like i'm a freak or something. I will be blogging about my experiences on how to get there and with a glimmer of hope, finally become acne free :) 

No comments: