Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Trying Out Something New: Bento



As I have said before, I was never a really good cook. But I did always enjoy playing with my food. Since I was young, I would play with my pancakes, put smiley faces on them and write words with the maple syrup. Little did I know that in other countries, they made food as art. It surprised me to see how Japanese mothers take their time to prepare meals for their children and make cute designs out of their lunch boxes. Some people even went beyond and made "kyaraben" where they make cartoon characters or other figures made from food! It's amazing what creativity they have. 


I saw an online summer school program on facebook and decided to try it out. I haven't really gotten down into it that much yet. There are so many accessories available out there nowadays to help make bento boxes cuter, but I don't have any of those. I try to make due with what I have for now and just have fun.  




I know I am a little behind, but....
For week #1, the theme is to make muffin tin. 



I call it Bears Sleeping in the Forest. I made the bears with the muffin tin meatloaf but had to take it out of the muffin cuppy thingy to cut it into a bear shape. The muzzle is made of white cheese, and the nose, eyes, and mouth out of nori. The background is pretty simple, i just chopped up some carrots, asparagus, corn and broccoli, boiled and seasoned it, and neatly (not really that neat hehe) arranged them. And underneath are some alfalfa sprouts with some spinach and lettuce. 

It's my first time so it's not really that pretty, but I had a lot of fun. I might get into more of it and buy some accessories to help me have cuter bento. But first I need an actual bento box. Maybe if I had children to experiment  love and care for and make their meals as they go to school, I can get more practice :D



No comments: