Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Vitamins, Minerals, and Beta Carotene!

I used to think I was allergic to vitamins. I know that sounds absurd, but hear me out.  For some reason whenever I tried multivitamins they made me itch and I would get breakouts. Not just ordinary breakouts but the cystic kind. I tried different OTC brands and even "organic" brands but something was amiss. Vitamins made me paranoid so I just stopped taking them. I thought to my self that I can get my vitamins through the food I eat anyway. That is true, but that may not always be the case. We definitely need a boost of vitamins especially with all the stress that is going on around us. This is where proper research and diligence comes in.

It turns out that I really am allergic to multivitamins. Not the vitamins itself but the ingredients of the pills. Most pills have corn, rice, wheat, dyes, and other ingredients that people may tend to neglect but are actually allergenic. I am so lucky that my nutritionist helps me out and recommends products to use. I have really learned to read labels not only with food but with supplements cause you never know what they stuff in there until you read labels and ask. 


The Blue Bonnet brand makes vitamins that are milk, egg, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nut, peanut, wheat, soy, corn, yeast, gluten, barley, rice, sodium and sugar free! (phew!) I was almost hesitant to try it out due to past experiences but I'm glad I did. There are probably more brands out there that cater to people with allergies. I will try to see if I can find some and review them. But for now, I think i'm good with this brand. 


The only thing that I don't like about the product is that it is a little pricey, and they don't make multivitamins and minerals that don't have rice. So I have to get INDIVIDUAL vitamins and minerals to take. (It's a lot of pills, son.) >_<

So, moral of the story, eat your vegetables! Hehe ;) 

No comments: