Monday, January 24, 2011

LEAP Phase 1 Day 1-7 Part 1

On the first phase, they started me off with a few food selections to go by. The first phase lasted for seven days. You can get really creative and cook your food however you like but you can't have any other ingredient that is not on the list. I am not a chef so I do apologize if the pictures aren't too appetizing. ;p


This was what I had to begin with.


Chicken:


This was my main source of protein for that week.


Nutrition facts about chicken:
Chicken meat contains about 150 calories per 100 grams.
Chicken is low in carbohydrate, low in fat with a moderate protein content.
Chicken contains all the B Vitamins, especially B3, but only trace amounts of B12.




Tuna:


The chicken of the sea. I like tuna but didn't really use a lot of it cause it is too expensive for my budget. But I like seared tuna with some vegetables as seen on the picture. 


Fun facts about tuna:
A diet rich in fish that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, like canned tuna, can curb or prevent cognitive decline, dementia, depression, neuropsychiatric disorders, asthma and inflammatory disorders.




Cassava:


Cassava or yucca or kamoteng kahoy (in tagalog), makes a really healthy snack. I like making cassava fries or chips and adding sea salt. The starch is made into tapioca flour, which I use to replace cornstarch with. 
Nutrition facts:



Cassava is Low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol, and Sodium
High in Vitamin C and Manganese




Quinoa:


Pronounced as keen-wa, it is a high protein seed that is used as a grain. The plant was cultivated by the Inca Indians, and used in religious ceremonies for centuries in South America.
This was my rice replacement. I grew up eating rice, and at first it was really hard but I got used to not eating rice after a while. Quinoa has to be soaked in water at least 15 minutes because it has this bitter taste if you don't. 
Quinoa has many nutrients, and is recognized widely as a good source of complete protein as well as magnesium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, dietary fiber, phosphorus, iron, copper, zinc, and manganese. 


Beet:



We got the beet! Yeah, yeah, corny I know haha. I've never tried beets before I went on this program, but roasted beets aren't half bad. 
Nutrition facts:
Beets are loaded with vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and C. They are also an excellent source of calcium, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, sodium and iron.While the sweet beet root has some of the minerals in its greens to a lesser degree, it is also a remarkable source of choline, folic acid, iodine, manganese, organic sodium, potassium, fiber and carbohydrates in the form of natural digestible sugars. This renders it highly effective in treating many ailments caused by our toxic environment and surrounding.











Using all parts of the kill, the stem and leaves can also be mixed with stir fry dishes and soups.






Broccoli:



Broccoli is probably one of my favorite veggies. They are very easy to cook. You can just steam or boil them for a few minutes and voila, you have something to munch on. 

It is loaded with antioxidants and protective phytochemicals. Broccoli can prevent some types of cancer. It also contains generous amounts of folic acid, which may prevent some birth defects and be beneficial in warding off heart disease, strokes and some cancers. Broccoli also contains some of the highest levels of vitamins A and C of any food.

Avocado:


Ahh, avocados. Love 'em. I was so glad I was not reacting to avocados since I was already sensitive to mangoes, peaches and pears. They are just so good, even without adding sugar or milk. 
Fun fact:
Avocados have over 20 vitamins and minerals and therefore considered to be one of the world’s most healthiest foods. An avocado has 60% more potassium than a banana on a  per ounce basis.  Avocados also have the most protein of any fruit.


Cabbage:


I didn't have any cabbage pictures available, sorry about that :D
I'm not really that much into cabbages but I like mixing them in soups and stir fries as well. I also made chicken cabbage wraps a few days ago. I should really take pictures. 




Next is part two of phase 1      ^___^


sources:
chicken
tuna
quinoa
cassava
beets
broccoli
avocado
cabbage patch logo

No comments: