Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ready For Dental Extraction?

Waah! -_- So I just got home from the dentist for a consultation on tooth extraction. I need them to be taken out so I can start with my invisalign. I have a lot of crowding on my lower front teeth and because of the crowding, my upper front teeth are slanted. Hopefully by next week I can schedule the procedure and be done with it. I am pretty calm when it comes to surgery and stuff like that, but I am somewhat anxious with  four tooth extractions. Four!

They asked me if I wanted to be asleep during the whole surgery but they would have to use IV drugs. I just opted with the milder sedation. I guess taking halcion before having the surgery is enough for me. I won't panic, I think... Hmm... Nah, I can take it! Just as long as I don't feel anything. Bring on the local anesthetics! >:) 

I have been reading about extraction complications and I hope everything goes well. Some  of these complications are: 
Bleeding
Infection
Dry socketA dry socket is a condition in which the blood clot that forms in the extraction site becomes detached from the walls of the socket, or dissolves away leaving the bare bone exposed to saliva and the foods you eat.  The bone becomes inflamed due to bacteria and contaminants in the saliva, and this inflammation is  persistent and painful. 
Broken Jaws
Sinus perforation 
Osteonecrosis of the jawbone is a disease resulting from the temporary or permanent loss of the blood supply to the bone.  Without a blood supply, the bone dies. 

Hoo boy. Now that made me a little more anxious ahaha. But, I just have to look on the bright side and think of it as the first step to having better looking teeth :D


sources:

No comments: