Friday, July 2, 2010

Gaah! My Eyes!








You see (ha-ha very funny), this drawing really happened. Not that cars suddenly started looking like that or anything. You get my point. But four months ago, my eyes started to get blurry, and my driving was more dangerous than ever. Thankfully, we were unharmed and no tickets have been mailed since. I still get paranoid whenever the mail arrives though. 

When I moved from California to Texas, I thought getting my driver's license over here was easy as pie, but I was wrong. Everything was good except for the vision part. I was so embarrassed because I spent five minutes trying to read one line. The lady working there was going "Tsk tsk, when was your last eye exam?" And I replied, well, my eyes were fine when I got my license in California. And she says, "Na-ah, you have to get your eyes checked then come back here." She was the type of lady you don't want to mess with. And so, I had no choice. I had to get my eyes checked.

It took me a month to have them checked out since I had to wait for my insurance to kick in. And it is good that I waited. Health care costs can get crazy without insurance. I saved around 200 dollars for the check up and glasses with insurance!

I never really had a thorough eye check up before, and it's amazing how many doodads and thingamabobs are there to help diagnose your vision. These were some of the equipments they used when they were examining my eyes.


And so they checked my eyes out, made me read some letters from the eye chart, flashed some lights in my eyes, and put eye drops that made my pupils dilate for 3 hours (It was no fun being sensitive to light and having blurry vision). The doctor was really nice. She told me I had myopia (nearsightedness) and astigmatism. My eyes weren't that bad, but I did need glasses. My prescription glasses should be available sometime soon. 

Moral of the story, take care of your eyes. My job requires me using a computer, plus I often use my laptop for watching shows and doing all sorts of things. Some things I've learned from this experience:
1. Give eyes some rest. Stare at something far, and if available, stare at the trees. They say green has a calming effect to the eyes. 
2. Do not rub eyes hard. It's a bad habit that I am trying hard to break.
3. Eat more veggies! Vitamin A for the eyes.
4. Drink more water to help rehydrate the eyes. 
5. Adequate lighting when reading a book or watching TV. I used to read in the dark and I am starting to regret it.  
6. Lastly, get adequate sleep. 

No comments: