Thursday, July 29, 2010

Choosing The Right Product

I have learned that the right product is one of the most important things to help with acne. Here are some tips that could help: 

  • Try to consult with a dermatologist or an aesthetician. Dermatologists can help diagnose and prescribe medications as needed to help like if there are infections and such. With aestheticians, they look beyond the medical side and help soothe your skin and heal it with gentle facials and extractions. Not all aestheticians are created equal, so find a good one. I am lucky to find an aesthetician who has helped me to  soothe my irritated skin caused by years of lack of knowledge and overdoing product after product. 
  • Read the ingredients. Do your research. Like what I said before, there are some chemicals that actually do more harm than good. As much as possible, stick to products that are less chemical-ish and more natural. You may like using benzoyl peroxide and drinking antibiotics but make sure you know the side effects of taking them more than you have to. I know I may sound biased and seem to tend to favor natural made products, but I believe that chemical based products have more harmful side effects in the long run. 
  • I have very sensitive skin so whenever I buy a new product, I put a small sample at the back of my ears and observe for redness or itching. 
  • Make sure the product is non acnegenic and non comedogenic.
  • Sometimes, less is more. Be wary of people who say that you have to use tons of amounts of this and that to help with acne. I've learned that the hard way. I used to slather everything at one time, with huge amounts, and it only made my skin more irritated. 
  • If you have a product that is working, stick to it. Or if you have a product and after a few days you don't notice anything, give it time to do its job. This doesn't always happen but some products make your skin worse and "purge" before it starts healing. But it does get kind of tricky. If you think that the product is not really doing anything but making it worse, it's time to change it. Products are never an exact science.
  • Celebrity endorsed products are not always the best thing. Its a matter of Quality over quantity. You can read reviews online and see how people are doing with the product. Not all that glitters is gold :)

No comments: