Saturday, June 12, 2010

Chemichalology Thingamajiggy 101: SLS

I've always noticed after brushing my teeth, my lips get dry faster, and I get thirstier. Normally I would just satisfy my thirst and drink water. Little did I know that there was a reason behind that. Yes kiddos, it was SLS. Not LSS, but SLS. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.
What is that??? Well, sodium lauryl sulfate, or SLS is a chemical additive found in a lot of ordinary things we use everyday. It is in our shampoos, cleansers, toothpaste etc. This SLS makes a delightful lather that we enjoy to help clean things by removing oil and residues. 
And speaking of cleansers, whenever we clean our faces, you know that tight feeling you get after? I actually thought that was a good thing. Since my skin is pretty oily, well, the solution to that is keep it dry, right? Well, not exactly.


Let us put it this way. Pretend that this boy was our skin, and that the sebum are his clothes. His clothes keep him protected from germs and also prevent from overdrying the skin. The SLS is so good at stripping oils that it takes more than it should, so we feel dry. Naked.



The boy (skin) will try to compensate by adding more clothes (sebum) to feel less naked. And so more sebum, more clogging, more crap. I mean more zits. 

Talk about harsh. What makes it sadder is that SLS is cheap, so a lot of companies use it in their cleansing products without thinking about the consequences to their consumers.


SLS has been found to cause dermatitis and skin irritation to some people. There have also  been debates about this chemical causing cancer. I don't really have a say in that, it could be true, or it could be false, but I just try to avoid products that have SLS as much as possible. 

The next time we try to put something in our body, we have to be careful because we might be doing more harm than good.




sources:
wikipedia

No comments: